In taking the journey of living a cleaner lifestyle, beauty products can be one of the most surprising and confusing categories to change over. For a long time many of us never realized the amount of crazy chemicals we are putting on our skin, in our hair, etc. are also causing harm to our overall health. We assumed that the government and cosmetic companies would be banning harmful chemicals, but that sadly isn't the case. In fact the last major federal law passed on cosmetic safety in the US was 80 years ago. Yikes!
With that being said we have to be willing to do our own research and make choices on what we put on and therefore in to our bodies. After learning about this several years ago, I began transitioning my makeup, skincare, hair and body products, and have had so much fun doing it. There are amazing companies out there that have taken on the need for safe cosmetics and are doing a great job.
Beautycounter stands out in this area, not only because they make amazing, safe cosmetic products, but they are advocates of trying to get the government to change the cosmetic laws. Beautycounter bans over 1500 questionable/harmful ingredients (similar to what the EU bans). In comparison, the US bans only 30 ingredients. I love that they are constantly doing the research, testing and adjusting to keep their products as safe but also high-performing as possible. Approximately 80% of the ingredients used in their products are natural, plant-derived, or certified organic. Besides the safety issue, I really appreciate that Beautycounter's products are high-performing.
In finding a company that aligned with so many of my values and the values of Blush, I made the decision to offer these products at the studio and to friends by becoming a consultant. As a health coach, I constantly have people asking me for safe beauty recommendations and I'm so thankful there's a company like Beautycounter that does the work of checking ingredients for us!
It can be overwhelming when you decide to start switching to a clean, non-toxic lifestyle with your beauty products, so I wanted to share with you my everyday favorite products!
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer - this is my everyday throw it on product. It gives a sheer coverage, evening out the skin tone. The best part is that it includes SPF 20 so if you're like me and can never remember sunscreen in the morning, you are covered! (I use #2).
- Concealer Pen - this is the perfect addition to the above if you have any blemishes or under-eye circles. I love throwing it in my bag for the day. (I use the light color)
- Charcoal Cleansing Bar - I use this once a day and love it. My husband will actually use it once in awhile too ;). It's not too drying but great if you're needing a deep clean or dealing with breakouts.
- Cleansing Balm - OK this is my absolute FAVORITE prouduct. It feels SO luxurious and is so hydrating. It is more of an investment but lasts for several months. It can be used as a makeup remover, cleanser, mask, etc. I just love it.
- Rejuvenating Radiance Serum - this has been a new addition for me and I'm loving it for skin brightening and anti-aging effects. It's light and hydrating.
If you have any questions about Beautycounter or safe beauty in general let me know! I love talking about getting toxins out of our everyday lifestyle! To shop any of these products or see what else they offer (safe sunscreen, a kid's line, masks, makeup, etc.), use this link!